‘No guarantee’ Billy Joe Saunders will get chance to fight Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, says Hopkins

Saunders missed out on fighting Canelo in May due to the coronavirus pandemic
Saunders missed out on fighting Canelo in May due to the coronavirus pandemic (The Canadian Press/PA Images)
15:52pm, Tue 14 Jul 2020
CBAD8A00-D2B9-4E0E-ADDF-D0366C357A34 Created with sketchtool. E9A4AA46-7DC3-48B8-9CE2-D75274FB8967 Created with sketchtool. 65CCAE04-4748-4D0F-8696-A91D8EB3E7DC Created with sketchtool.

Legendary middleweight Bernard Hopkins has told Billy Joe Saunders he may have missed his chance to fight Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez.

Saunders was initially due to take on Alvarez on May 2 before the fight fell through due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Canelo (right) beat light-heavyweight Sergey Kovalev in his last fight back in November (Tass/PA Images)

Now the Brit has ruled himself out of re-scheduling their clash for September as he insists he will not be ready in time.

And while the 30-year-old southpaw is now working towards a Canelo fight further down the line, Hopkins, who is part of Alvarez’s promotional team, has warned Saunders he may not get his chance again.

Speaking to Sky Sports, he said: "He missed out and there's no guarantee, especially in the world of boxing, that Billy [Joe] Saunders will get a call from anybody, pertaining a world champion, the biggest spotlight you can get - pandemic or not - opportunity.

 "It did (surprise me that he ruled himself out), because Billy Joe Saunders is not a rookie in the game.

"Billy Joe Saunders has been in some highlighted moments. He understands, he had a taste of the high level."

Canelo is widely regarded as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world having not lost since his defeat to Floyd Mayweather Jr seven years ago.

Former world champion Hopkins is now a part of Alvarez's promotional team 'Golden Boy Promotions' (DPA/PA Images)

A fight many still want to see the Mexican take on in September is the trilogy bout with Gennady Golovkin.

The pair fought to a split decision draw back in September 2017, before Alvarez won the rematch by majority decision.

Since then, the 29-year-old has beaten Britain’s Rocky Fielding, American Danny Jacobs and Russian Sergey Kovalev.

Sign up to our newsletter