England bowler James Anderson 'anxious' over impact of coronavirus on personal and professional life

England's leading wicket taker admits he is anxious about the current pandemic (PA Images)
England's leading wicket taker admits he is anxious about the current pandemic (PA Images)
16:00pm, Wed 18 Mar 2020
CBAD8A00-D2B9-4E0E-ADDF-D0366C357A34 Created with sketchtool. E9A4AA46-7DC3-48B8-9CE2-D75274FB8967 Created with sketchtool. 65CCAE04-4748-4D0F-8696-A91D8EB3E7DC Created with sketchtool.

England's all-time leading wicket taker James Anderson has shared his concerns about the huge impact coronavirus will have on his cricketing career and personal life.

The 37-year-old admitted to feeling 'a bit anxious' ahead of Thursday's discussions regarding the possible rescheduling of the 2020 season.

This year's County Championship is currently due to begin on April 12 and England's men are due to play the West Indies in a three-Test series starting on June 4, but Anderson does not believe the campaign will keep to the current schedule.

Speaking on the BBC's Tailenders podcast, he said: "The season is unlikely to start. It's still a little bit hazy as to what's going to happen.

"I feel a little bit anxious. Just the not knowing is giving me a bit of anxiety."

Anderson is the father of two girls and admits this is a difficult juggling act amid the uncertainty. 

"Also trying to keep a young family healthy. I am trying to stay calm, follow the guidelines," he added.

"My wife's mum and dad live in Spain so they are in lockdown. They are in the age group where there are concerns. The anxiety is building up in our house because of not knowing what will happen in the next few months."

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has said all options will be discussed at the meeting on Thursday, including postponements and games being played behind closed doors.

Former England batsman Alex Hales and six Surrey men's team members have reportedly self-isolated, while England's tour of Sri Lanka was also called off last week.

A decision is expected to be reached at Thursday's meeting about the upcoming schedule and Hampshire chairman Rod Bransgrove admitted fears over 'no cricket at all' this season.

In a year which was set to see the launch of the ECB's new format 'The Hundred', uncertainty is rife and players such as Anderson who are nearing the twilight years of their career could face a full season on the sidelines. 

Sign up to our newsletter