Thousands protest after Greek refugee camp burns down

Migrants take part in a rally on Lesbos
Migrants take part in a rally on Lesbos - (Copyright AP)
15:21pm, Fri 11 Sep 2020
CBAD8A00-D2B9-4E0E-ADDF-D0366C357A34 Created with sketchtool. E9A4AA46-7DC3-48B8-9CE2-D75274FB8967 Created with sketchtool. 65CCAE04-4748-4D0F-8696-A91D8EB3E7DC Created with sketchtool.

Thousands of protesting refugees and migrants left homeless on the Greek island of Lesbos after fires destroyed the overcrowded Moria camp gathered on a road leading to the island’s main town, demanding to be allowed to leave.

Clapping and chanting songs, the protesters were boisterous but peaceful. Some held up signs pleading for help from Germany, a favoured destination for many migrants and refugees who arrive in Greece from the nearby Turkish coast.

More than 12,000 people who had been living in and around Moria were left homeless by two consecutive fires on Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Greek officials said the blazes were deliberately set by some of the camp’s residents angered by isolation orders issued to prevent the spread of coronavirus after 35 residents were found to have been infected.

They slept in the open for a third night, some cutting down reeds and using salvaged blankets to make rudimentary shelters to protect them from the night-time chill and the scorching daytime sun. Others used tents or had just sleeping bags to protect them from the elements.

Migrant camp blaze - (Copyright AP)

The camp had been under a lockdown due to last until mid-September after the first virus case was identified in a Somali man who had been granted asylum and left the camp but later returned to Moria from Athens.

“We have spent three days here without eating, without drinking. We are in conditions that are really, really not very good,” said Freddy Musamba, a former camp resident from Gambia who denounced the situation in Greece and the conditions under which he had been living.

“I want to speak about the European Union, who abandoned us, who left us here like this,” he said.

He called for the EU “to come and support us, to not leave us”.

Of the camp’s residents, Greek authorities have only allowed the 406 unaccompanied teenagers and children who had been living there to leave the island. They were flown to the Greek mainland on Wednesday night and have been temporarily housed in hotels and other facilities.

Aid organisations have long warned about dire conditions in the camp, which has a capacity of just over 2,750 people but was housing more than 12,500 inside and in a spillover tent city that sprang up in an adjacent olive grove.

The situation has led to spiralling tension, both among migrants and refugees inside the camp and with local residents who have long called for Moria to be shut down.

Moria houses people from Africa, Asia and the Middle East who arrived on the island from the nearby Turkish coast fleeing poverty or conflict in their homeland. Under a 2016 deal between the EU and Turkey, those arriving on Greek islands would remain there pending either their successful asylum application, or deportation back to Turkey.

But a backlog in asylum applications, combined with continued arrivals and few deportations, led to massive overcrowding in Moria and other camps on eastern Aegean islands.

The overcrowded camp and its dire conditions have been held up by critics as a symbol of failures in the EU’s migration and refugee policy.

“Moria is a sharp reminder to all of us for what we need to change in Europe,” said European Commission vice president Margaritis Schinas, who also handles migration for the 27-nation bloc.

“The clock has run out on how long Europe can live without a migration policy,” said Mr Schinas, who was in Greece to discuss the Moria fire with Greek officials.

Greece Migrant Camp Blaze - (Copyright AP)

The EU’s executive commission plans to present a new “pact for migration and asylum” on September 30, he said.

On Thursday, French President Emanuel Macron announced that France and Germany were in talks to take in some of the children who had been living in Moria.

German interior minister Horst Seehofer said that 10 EU countries had agreed to participate in taking in the unaccompanied children from Moria and that talks were ongoing with others.

He said Germany and France would take the largest share, “about two thirds” of the 406 teenagers and children who had been living at the camp without parents or guardians.

German officials identified the other countries that would help take in the unaccompanied children as Finland, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Croatia, the Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium and Switzerland.

Sign up to our newsletter